Friday, August 31, 2007

Invictus

Below is my favorite poem, ever. I like poetry that rhymes, I like poetry that makes me feel something, and I like poetry that can make an impact on my life. This poem does all of that. Invictus is a poem that I have revisted many times over the years, and it maintains its #1 spot. It reminds me that at the end of it all, I am the only one responsible for myself. Ultimately, I cannot blame anyone for my failures and I cannot expect someone else to bring me what I want or need. This poem also reminds me that it is never over until it is over; no matter how bleak my situation appears to be, there is always hope. Please enjoy an oldie but a goodie; Invictus by William Ernest Henley:

Out of the night that covers me,

Back as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the Bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree that the essential message here is sound, but unfortunately, this poem was permanently ruined for me when the Oklahoma bomber asked that it be read at his execution...

Unknown said...

I hadn't heard that, and my ignorance was bliss. I wish someone at the prison had the ability or the stones to deny his request.

Even so, McVeigh has nothing to do with this poem, and I will not allow him to take it away from me. If we allow these demons to pervert our favorites, we will have nothing left to enjoy.

The bible, the constitution, and some great books have been tied to or claimed by some of the most horrible people ever to waste our oxygen. That doesn't mean that the bible, the constitution, or most of these books are responsible, nor should they be colored by the atrocities that were commited in their name.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know, it's illogical...

I have a similar attitude toward the soul singer, James Brown. I will get up and leave a room when I hear his music, though I know his music is historically important. It is my way of objecting to his 'treatment of women'.

Anonymous said...

I should digg your article therefore other people are able to see it, very useful, I had a hard time finding the results searching on the web, thanks.

- Norman

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another amazing entry. Where else would anyone get that kind of information in such a easy to understand way of presentation.