Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Segregated Parking

First of all, I want to state clearly that I am not criticizing any specific religious ideas, theologies, or philosophies today. I may be pointing out an underlying problem in human nature, but I leave most of the conclusions to you. I am simply posting another picture that I found somewhat sad and somewhat funny at the same time.

I am essentially a Christian. I do not currently believe that the bible is infallible and I do not regularly attend church. I do believe in God, and my concept of God is heavily influenced by a life spent in various churches. My ethics are essentially Christian-Judeo ethics; I try to adhere to the Ten Commandments and the Golden Rule. I am not opposed to religion in any form, and of all the world's religions and ethical systems I tend to favor Christianity.

There was a time when I had more faith; I attended church, I sang out loud at church, I witnessed, I lead bible studies, I was called a "Jesus Freak" by some small-minded simpletons. I was encouraged to become a preacher and I seriously considered it. What happened? That is a long series of posts that I intend to write one day.

Until then, understand that I do not hold ill feelings towards church-goers, even when they make the following signs:

This is a sign that greeted people as they entered the parking lot shared between the Methodist and Baptist churches in Kailua, Hawaii. Here we were, living in paradise on earth and preparing for eternal paradise, yet we felt the need to segregate the parking. Or, to be more accurate, a few small-minded simpletons felt the need. Most of us could care less who parked where. Perhaps Albert Camus was right, and life is simply absurd. This sign sure is.

No comments: