Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Chauncey, The Surfing Dog

Chauncey would get a running start and step onto a floating foam cushion in the pool. Together, he and the cushion would glide across the water looking as natural as can be. This is how Chauncey earned the name "The Surfing Dog".

He loved the water. When I took him to a local lake, he would swim forever with the other dogs. In the pool at my parents house, he would jump in for tennis balls and use the stairs to get out. He would do laps with me, or let me carry him around like a child in the water. Besides surfing, he would lay on the cushion and hang out with whomever was in the pool.

Chauncey was adopted from a local shelter back in 1995-he was about 10 months old. He had a horrible kennel cough that produced a wretching noise and a warm, yellowish liquid between 12-3 am. He came with a horrible chewing habit as well: toys were destroyed the day they were purchased. Household items were also destroyed. When Chauncey lit into my Dad's new, leather Lazyboy, he almost died.

They bought him a cage to keep him, and the house, safe when no one was home. He soon preferred to lay in his cage when he needed to recharge or just be alone. After a few years, his cough and bad habits went away, and he turned into a near perfect dog to have around. Very little barking, few messes, great temperament, and a loving personality.

Chauncey loves car rides, like most other dogs (except my two dogs, the freaks). When I got back from the Marine Corps, after living on various Pacific islands for four years, I loved the freedom of driving for hours without a dead end. Chauncey was often a companion on those trips. I also liked to take a walk in the woods, and he always accompanied me.

By 1998, I had moved into my own apartment and adopted my own dog, Joey. I would bring Joey to my parents house when I visited to mooch food and beer. Joey and Chauncey were instant friends. I always made sure that I spent a few minutes with Chauncey alone to make sure he understood that we were still buddies. Occasionally, without Joey around, Chauncey and I could relive our roughhousing and long drives.

Recently, Chauncey has gone down hill. As my parents were preparing to move to another house, Chauncey quit eating, rapidly dropped weight, and had trouble moving around. We thought that he had decided not to move, but to die in the old house. He surprised us by recovering, and he seemed to enjoy his new home for the last few months.

However, there was a new development this weekend. He suddenly has a distended belly that is sensitive to the touch. The Vet says there is not much to be done.

He was brought home so that we could all say our goodbyes. My 6 year old daughter made him a card, and she shed a few tears for him. She understands he is going to doggy heaven, but that doesn't make it any less painful for her. My son views it more scientifically, "Chauncey is going to die?" When we explain to him about sick dogs, he knods like that makes sense to him, and he is off to play Candyland.

Chauncey always loved to get out of the house and investigate strange surroundings. Today, my mom will call out, "Chauncey, let's go for a ride in the car!" He will get as excited as he can in his condition. He will get in the car, wagging and panting all the way. He will smile a doggy smile as he looks out the window. He may not know that this is his last car ride, but I am sure he will make the best of it as he always did. If a dog could be given a last request, Chauncey would have known he was too old to surf anymore. He would have chosen for it all to end with a car ride.

Goodbye, Chauncey. You were a good dog, and I appreciate the love you gave to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You brightened my day and made me shed a trear about the hapiness Chauncey brought everyone. MOM

Anonymous said...

You brighten my day and made me shed a tear on remembering all the good times we had with Chauncey. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

I teared up as I read this.

We normally do not keep dogs--though we took one in recently when a neighbor moved from the home he owned into an apartment where he could not keep an animal. CoCo is not yet attached to us.

This post made me realize what companions dogs can be.

jbub said...

im i larrys family we just lost joey