Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Onomatopoeia and No Photography

I have two things to say today, and neither of them are related in any way except that they are in my head at this time.

The first is a word: Onomatopoeia. I do not know why I love that word, but I do. It is tied in my thoughts to the concepts of alliteration and Iambic pentameter. I must have learned them all in one day while studying Shakespeare's sonnets, but I have no recollection. In a nutshell, the word "boom" is an example of onomatopoeia because its pronunciation matches the sound it describes. Here is one of many lists of words that use onomatopoeia.

The second unrelated tangent is a picture. While stationed on Camp Hansen in Okinawa, Japan, I took the photo below. There is a brig (prison) for bad Marines and Sailors on Camp Hansen. By taking photos of the brig, you could assist the planning of a security breach, either blatantly or a inadvertently. I understand why "No Photography" is necessary.

Even so, the thought of taking a picture of a sign that says "No Photography" struck me as funny. Again, I can not explain the things in my head, I can merely report them as I find them. For whatever it is worth, here is a picture that made me chuckle (while risking my career and freedom), without any details that can risk the security of the Brig itself:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny photo. Reminds me of a Pueblo I once visited in New Mexico. Photography was against the rules there too--but you could purchase a day pass ($10-12) to snap photos. I bought the pass and whiled away an afternoon thinking I was taking some great photos with my old 35mm. When I prepared to rewind, I belatedly discovered that I hadn't threaded the film in properly--so the Pueblo natives got their wish afterall.