Monday, August 27, 2007

Leitmotif and Emerson

I do not have time to write a real post right now, and I could not do better than Mr. Emerson at any rate (even if I have a less-unfortunate middle name), so I will simply post a good quote today:

"Is it so bad to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Will you allow me to share a rare and interesting English word with you as well? Let today's word of the day be:
Leitmotif (n) 1. A short, recurring musical phrase. 2. A dominant theme or underlying pattern.
I hope your day is everything you created it to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but how do you pronounce leitmotif? An inquiring English instructor wants to know. I never use it in conversation because I have never heard it pronounced. I agree with you that it's a wonderful, all purpose word.

Unknown said...

All along I have pronounced it as layt-mo-teef' but I looked it up a second ago to be sure. According to Webster's New World Dictionary, it is pronounced lite-mo-teef. Apparently it is of German origin, which is what drives the pronunciation of the "ei".