Friday, August 10, 2007

The Graduate

Last night, I checked off one of the biggest goals I have set for myself: I completed the required studies for a bachelor degree. I am now a college graduate, and no one can take that away from me. I have two weeks left in an online undergraduate course for Baker University, and I have a new class starting up at the community college next week. I can fail both of those classes, and every class I ever take, and I will still be a college graduate.

When I graduated high school, there were only a few things I set as goals. I had some dreams too, but the goals I needed to achieve were: graduate from Marine Corps Boot Camp, get married and have kids, own a house, and get a college degree. All of those goals seemed huge and unobtainable back then. I graduated from boot camp six months later. It took eight years to get married and buy a house, nine years from high school to have kids, and fifteen years to finish my degree.

Here I am, all of those goals checked off. I have created new goals in the meantime, and I can now focus on these new goals one at a time. The big beast of the undergraduate degree cost 10 years, unknown hours of my life, and tens of thousands of dollars (I shudder to calculate the complete cost), but it was obtainable, and worth every second and every penny.

I don't have the feeling of elation or relief. I think that I already experienced those feelings a few months ago when I realized I was almost done and there was nothing stopping me. That is when I began to consider my future and set my sights in the graduate degree. So I am elated and relieved, I am just accustomed to feeling that way now.

I have work to complete this morning, and then I have to drive to a lake and relax for a weekend. Next week, I have work and school as well as family and home-owner obligations; same as always. Life is not going to change for me very much in the near future.

However, I have a completely different future awaiting me today as a college graduate. The next time I choose or am forced to switch jobs, I have more doors opened for me. I can now attend graduate school and take a step up in opportunities. Most importantly, I can now help my children to see a college degree as something that is obtainable, valuable, and necessary.

I am standing on the summit of a mountain that I have been climbing for a long time. The mountain was obstructing a view of the other side while I climbed. I can now enjoy the view, but I realize it includes more mountains to climb - as many as I want. First, I am going down to see if there are any fish in this lake down here. However, I cannot wait to start climbing the next mountain; after climbing this big one, they all look like bunny hills to me.

Baker University, graduating class of BSM-82, on the the last night of class (August 9, 2007). I am seated in the front row in a red striped shirt:

The cake. Cake always tastes good, but this one was extra sweet and satisfying, for some reason:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry--my belated congratulations. I will forward this to my daughter... I have been off celebrating my wedding anniversary (11 years--THAT seems like a major accomplishment to me!)

So, this is the "group" you studied with? Did you wear caps and gowns?

And you're correct--you can now attempt those serious things you WANT to do.

Anonymous said...

Larry--did you get a previous comment? It came up marked as an error for some reason. If it didn't go through--Congratulations.

Unknown said...

We will wear caps and gowns when we Baker holds its annual Graduation ceremony in December.

11 years is a major accomplishment in this day and age, CONGRATULATIONS! and a wish for 11 more!