Friday, September 7, 2007

Seneca on Happiness

I will continue my series on Politics and Capitalism as soon as I have the time to give it the appropriate treatment. In the meantime, I will share a few thoughts on another favorite quote.

My mind is wired for more--more of everything, more is better. However, two truths are there to bring me back to reality. One, I have more of everything than 80% of the planet. Two, my happiness has not increased relative to my possessions and achievement. For instance, I always wanted a house. I am lucky to own my house, but it does not always make me happy; especially when said house requires maintenance. I always wanted a degree; now that I have it, I am twice as busy but not any happier as a result.

What makes me happy? That is the most important question a person can ask. If something makes you happy and also hurts you or others, then you need to seek happiness elsewhere. Also, if the thing that makes you happy is the opposite of what your family/friends expect (you want to paint, they want you to study medicine) you have some tough confrontations to make.

Alternatively, if you do not know what really makes you happy, then how can you achieve happiness? I see people who shovel chocolate into their face and watch hours of TV seeking happiness when they would probably be much happier to take a walk in a garden and write their own songs. If you never discover that source of happiness unique to your genetic profile, you may waste an entire lifetime trying to find happiness in your parent's or spouse's path.

Thoreau went to Walden to see how much of life he could do without. He subtracted yeast from his bread and found that he was able to enjoy bread even more when he didn't suffer the hassles that yeast required. He threw out a paperweight that caused him to dust more often, even though it was probably a handy item in a house without A/C. Thoreau followed Seneca's advice and proved to me that the principle is sound.

Even so, I need a constant reminder. I should be overwhelmed with happiness; I would be if I compared my condition to that of an Iraqi farmer or Nigerian fisherman. No, I compare my condition to the neighbors, and I covet the wife and Porsche. I should know that a hot blonde and a cherry 911 Carerra will not make me any happier if they come with attitude and expenses. I should have Seneca's quote emblazoned on everything I own so that it is always in my mind:

To be happy, add not to your possessions but subtract from your desires.

-Seneca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, I have way more of everything I need. My "fantasy" at age 53 is to try to imagine how simply I could live my life. Could I live in a storage shed? Would I need electricity? Water? Indoor plumbing?
I like to think I could do it, BUT probably not comfortably.

Anonymous said...

Hi

After studying philosphy for several years at the University of Toronto, I have come to discover that happiness is not found, happiness is created. Happiness is a verb. Like any other verbs, it needs to be in action. Happiness is therefore a choice we can make. You can choose to be happy or sad. The ultimate choice is yours. No one can take that away. There is an amazing chinese probverb that states, "If you want to be happy for an hour....take a nap. If you want to be happy for a day....go fishing. If you want to be happy for a week, take a vaction. If you want to be happy for a month....get married. If you want to be happy for a year....inherit a fortune. If you want to be happy for life, says the chinese probverb....then choose joy.

If you do not like the stage you are on, get off, take ownership of your script, rewrite it, change the actors...give your sister-in-law the walk on part. Change the setting and only when you are happy with YOUR play, then get back onto your stage and continue acting.....in essence, continue living YOUR life. A magical thing happens, YOU become responsible and accountable for your joys and your happiness.

Pasquale Fulginiti
kidstuffseminars.com

Anonymous said...

What the previous commenter said is kind of strange. Could someone explain?
Can you explain to me what reality is? Do robots exist in reality because they cannot judge and make perceptions?
Hey, can I get in touch with you via email? You seem to be experienced in this topic.
I was once trying to write jokes, and it didn't turn out too well. I'm not the brightest lightbulb, and I live with my mom.

As I said before, I never repeat myself.