Saturday, September 15, 2007

A Second Mother's Day

I ended up with this box of photos that is marked with my name but contains very little of my stuff. It is mostly full of old photos, a few of my Dad's old report cards (perhaps that will be my next post) and rocks from my sister's head. I went through the box just to see what was in there, and most of it is yawning material. However, there were a few gems that I hadn't seen in a long time.

The photo below is of my mom from around 1970. Is it weird if I say she was a hottie back then? I wasn't even a twinkle in anyone's eye yet, so I will venture to say not. This is my favorite picture of her. I am going to steal it, frame it, and display it prominently in my home office. My mom has received a lot of things in her life that she didn't deserve, and especially from me. The least I can do right now is counter that by taking a beautiful picture of her from out of a box and displaying it proudly.

I like to think of this blog as part of the larger Internet, regardless of how insignificant it is in the grand scheme of things. Therefore, when I post here it is to make some improvement of the Internet, rather than just to inconvenience some electrons and take up virtual space.

There are all kinds of pictures on the Internet that make the Internet worse off; perhaps by honoring my mother and displaying a nice picture will do two things: balance out the crap that is out there and bring me some Internet karma.

Which reminds me that I re-discovered an oldie but a goodie as I surfed a few poetry websites recently. This is a great, classic poem that may have become cliche to some. That is unfortunate, because we cannot honor our wives and mothers enough for the work they do.

I just changed the title of this post from "My Mom" to what you see now because I realized that is what I am trying to say here. I am declaring a second Mother's Day for 2007 because one just isn't enough; at least not for the women in my life. If you are a mother, thank you for all you have done. If you have a mother, call her; better yet, send her something. As for me, I am going to send my mom two little kids from my house and take my wife out to see that new Jodie Foster movie. No really, I think that is what my mom really wants.

The classic poem to honor Mothers:

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
is
The Hand That Rules the World

William Ross Wallace

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blessings on the hand of women!

Angels guard its strength and grace,

In the palace, cottage, hovel,

Oh, no matter where the place;

Would that never storms assailed it,

Rainbows ever gently curled;

For the hand that rocks the cradle

Is the hand that rules the world.


Infancy's the tender fountain,

Power may with beauty flow,

Mother's first to guide the streamlets,

From them souls unresting grow--

Grow on for the good or evil,

Sunshine streamed or evil hurled;

For the hand that rocks the cradle

Is the hand that rules the world.


Woman, how divine your mission

Here upon our natal sod!

Keep, oh, keep the young heart open

Always to the breath of God!

All true trophies of the ages

Are from mother-love impearled;

For the hand that rocks the cradle

Is the hand that rules the world.


Blessings on the hand of women!

Fathers, sons, and daughters cry,

And the sacred song is mingled

With the worship in the sky--

Mingles where no tempest darkens,

Rainbows evermore are hurled;

For the hand that rocks the cradle

Is the hand that rules the world.

No comments: