Saturday, July 14, 2007

Wolfmother

There is a great show on A&E called "Driving Force". It is a reality show that peers into the life of John Force, one of the best drag racers in the sport. I am not big into racing of any kind, but what makes the show interesting is three things: 1. He is a nut case. I am not a doctor, but I am sure it wouldn't take one long to diagnose his issues and write several prescriptions. However, he is a good man, as real as can be, driven to excel, and has the heart of a teacher. He shouts, he cries, he plays gags, he cajoles and motivates, he treats his competitors like brothers and friends, and he wins. I wouldn't mind spending some time in John Force's shoes, but I am sure I could not fill them as well as him. 2. He has a very interesting family arrangement: He has been married forever to his daughters' mother, yet they live in separate houses. They work together, race together, eat together, vacation together, and then go to separate homes. The strange dynamic makes for interesting voyeur TV. 3. His three daughters are smokin' hot, smart, strong, and they race. One of his daughters, Ashley Force, has gone pro and is closely watched. The look in her eye tells me she will be a major challenge for a long time. Like I said, I am not into racing, but for some reason women in race cars is very interesting to me--and not for chauvinistic reasons, I think. Anyway, I am flipping through the channels, I see hot chicks racing cars, I watch the show, and I am turned onto a great song: "Woman" by Wolfmother. It played on the radio a few days later, I bought the CD, and I am now telling everyone about this band. I do not get excited about new music very often. I am getting old, the bands are getting lazy, and the record execs are losing their nerve and imagination. Somehow, Wolfmother made it past all the obstacles that keep great bands on the local circuit. Wolfmother is an Australian band. They rock hard. They do ballad without the sappy. Unlike so much of the crap out there today, it is obvious they have listened to some good music for influence, maybe some Zeppelin, some Hendrix, etc. And yet, they are totally original. Their songs are different, and they make noises you have never heard on an album. Best of all, their experiments payoff--they aren't one of these weird bands that make alien noises and bore you to tears. So check out the song that got me started first: Woman. Next, check a very dynamic song, one that starts beautiful and ends strong: White Unicorn. The first song on their CD is great for getting pumped up, called Dimension. That should be enough to send you to Amazon and pick up the CD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not quite my style. I'm a blues fan--and there's an Australian, Dave Hole, that plays a mean, left-handed steel guitar.