Wednesday, July 11, 2007

First Blog Post

Anyone can have a blog. ANYONE. Does the world need another blog? Absolutely not. However, I venture forth with reckless abandon because...I can. To be honest, this blog will probably not be read by very many people, excepting a few family members and a few unlucky surfers who clicked the wrong hyperlink. That's alright. This blog is written by me, for me. If someone else benefits from it, all the better.

This blog presently has no theme, no purpose, and no end in mind. I am simply introducing myself to blogging. I do hope that at some time inspiration will cause a theme to present itself. Until then, I will expirement, practice, exercise, imitate, and waste time that should be spent on home maintenance and yardwork.

Currently, the "Super Idea" that all of my thoughts fit into is Globalization and the ideas presented in Thomas L. Friedman's book "The World is Flat". I have spent 10 years in the IT/telecommunications industry, and I have watched firsthand as the internet and associated technologies have permeated our world. Therefore, this will be a topic of some posts.

I am currently studying the Russian language, culture, and history, so this will also be a source of future posts. In 2008, I will begin my studies at Kansas University, pursuing a Master of Arts in International Studies, focuing on Central Europe/Russia, Political Science, and Corporate Social Responsibility. That course of study will either consume all my free time and end this blog or it will become the over-riding theme.

I have two kids who are smarter and more talented than any of their peers (at least in my eye), so they may pop up as a topic from time to time. Which brings me to another topic that is near and dear to my heart presently: I will keep this blog child-friendly. I expect that my own kids or nephew, or some anonymous minor, will eventually click on this blog. Therefore, I promise to keep it scrubbed as clean as is possible in the 21st century. Moreover, I will take time to point out some family-friendly topics as I stumble on them. It is increasingly difficult to find anything on the internet, TV, radio, or movies that I can share with my kids. Therefore, when a gem presents itself, I will post it here.

I am very passionate about politics. The LAST thing this world needs is another political blog, from any perspective except those who are currently oppressed by their governments and cannot voice their dissent. In addition, I would rather not be judged by my political loyalties, but from my logic and facts instead. Having said that, I am sure that I will be unable to keep my peace from time to time.

Perhaps this will develop into a reading blog. I read vast and wide, and like to share little nuggets that I find. This blog may not actually make you smarter, but it may make you appear smarter, and that is all that matters anymore--right?

Lastly, this blog will feature odd websites. Some people have found unique ways to use the web, and most are useless but interesting anyway. The last thing we need is another procrastination device, and yet we are always thankful when we find the next one.

Until this blog contains something of substance, you can waste your time at the following favorites:

http://www.heavygames.com

http://www.linkydinky.com (Not everything is clean, but there are many oddities worth clicking on.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AMRE89WBF3IVW (My Amazon Profile.)

http://youtube.com/user/darthslobo (My YouTube Profile.)

http://slobodzian.i8.com/ (The first webpage I ever created. Sorry, it is waaaaaay out of date.)

http://gamescene.com/World_Conquest.html (This is one of my favorite things to do instead of what I am supposed to be doing. If you wish to waste 15 minutes or so on a game similiar to Risk, click here.)

http://justsolitaire.com/ (This is another blackhole that will allow you to procrastinate endlessly and waste valuable time. You're welcome.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simply killing some in between class time on Digg and I found your article . Not normally what I want to read about, but it was completely price my time. Thanks.