Sunday, January 13, 2008

Selfish Charity

How has your 2008 been so far? Mine has been busy. Not the good kind of busy, but the kind of busy that makes you wonder if 2008 is going to be worth the effort. The kind of busy that makes you wish it was 2009 already. Several other people I know have had the same complaint. Isn't the recession and the political primary season enough pain, do I really have to work hard on top of all that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today I would like to discuss charity. This is something that I have been considering for a while, and I have found an interesting way to give that you should be aware of. Charity is our way of improving our community. It not only makes the world a little better, it makes you better as well. By giving money away, you help mold a generous spirit within you that others will find attractive. Charity also communicates to the universe that you can be trusted with money, and that you are ready for more.

I was once a stingy person. I felt that I was already giving enough through my taxes, and that I didn't need to be charitable when I was just a few paychecks away from poverty. If I was really creative, I would rationalize that instead of being charitable, I can invest in myself and ensure that I have more to give in the future. I was selfish; I was only looking to benefit myself. I still am, but I have found I can benefit myself through charity.

Many lessons and examples along the way have lead me away from stingy thinking. Of course, I have more money today than I did a few years ago. However, I am nowhere near any of my financial goals. Every penny I give away today is money that could have sent my kids to school, helped me get through retirement, or at least paid off my mortgage. It is also money that I have worked hard to earn and have every right to spend on a vacation or a new car.

I am happy to be charitable. By pooling my money with others, I am improving the world around me and raising the standard of living for people less fortunate than me. The key to my transformation from stingy to charity was the acceptance that I am fortunate. I may not be as fortunate as some people I run into, but I do not have to travel far to find people with less love, opportunity, and possessions than myself. Realizing my fortune has allowed me to share it with those around me.

Even though I am grateful for my good fortune, I am still a selfish person. I can't help. Maybe I am less selfish than I was, but I cannot stop looking our for number one. That's okay, though. There is such a thing as Selfish Charity.

Charity also allows me to share my passion, interests, and personality--like this blog. I think that most of us enjoy anything that strokes our ego. When someone asks you about your job, kids, or hobby and seem interested in your answer, that can be like a drug. Expressing your personal interests through bumper-stickers, t-shirts, email-signatures, and well-placed comments in conversation are as natural as breathing. With charity, you express your passion with your most valued object: your money. Giving to a cause that supports your passion feels great; it feels even better when it gives you an opportunity to talk to someone about why you give and why you feel passionate about the subject.

I am passionate about education. I can see that missing educational opportunities has affected me personally and financially. I can also see how my studies have both expanded the quality of my life and my earning potential. When I look around me, I see the same principal at work in the lives of those around me. Therefore, I think that any charity that raises the quality of education or increases educational opportunities for people is worthy of my money.

I am also passionate about children. If you want to prevent a societal ill, you start with children. If you want to improve the potential of a society, you start with children. If you want to laugh or feel energized, spend some time with kids. If you want a fresh perspective on an issue, ask a child. Therefore, almost any opportunity that will benefit children is a worthy cause.

This has led me to be charitable to my local library. The library has provided me with a collection of jazz CDs to import to my iTunes, it had provided me with a collection of audiobooks for my long drives throughout the midwest, and it has answered every question I ever posed there. Moreover, it is a constant source of education and entertainment for my kids through borrowed books and videos. Charitable giving to my library can be seen as a very selfish act since I get so much use from the library.

However, it is not entirely selfish. My local library branch is always full of people who I would not normally run into: people too poor to afford a computer so they go to the library to get online. There are also people taking classes ESL and GED classes to improve their earning potential--and their internal lives. There are programs for children in every age-group and demographic. The library doesn't just make people smarter, it makes them feel better and provides tangible benefits.

I get frustrated when I try to communicate with someone in Kansas who cannot speak English. The library not only improves that person's earning potential and quality-of-life, it lowers my potential for communication breakdown. The library raises the earning potential of those around me, which directly improves the economy, lowers crime, and makes for a more pleasant society. The library teaches people to use computers, which means I will have more computers, servers, and routers to sell, install, and support over time. The library also teaches people to help themselves, to seek information, and to indulge curiosity--those benefits may be intangible, but they improve society all the same.

I have also given to Hospice in memory of people who passed away. Some may think that Hospice is the least likely source of selfish-charity. I once thought that it was tacky to beg for Hospice donations during a funeral. "Don't give flowers, give money to Hospice." I wish I could remember who it was that changed my perspective, but it was so simple: they made me realize that I may need Hospice some day. Or, God forbid, someone I really love.

In that event, I will want Hospice to be well-funded and able to meet every need. When I thought about how I could benefit from Hospice, I realized how important it really is. Now, I feel good giving to Hospice knowing that it helps a family transition during the most painful time of their life. I also know that if I should ever need it, Hospice will be there for me, too.

Charitable giving to political campaigns and committees is more transparently selfish, but it is important nonetheless. It is not enough to vote nowadays, unfortunately. Campaigns are media-driven and very expensive. If you believe in a cause, you can improve its chances of being heard, presented intelligently, and being accepted if you provide funding. It doesn't matter how rational your cause is or how much evidence you have to support it; if your cause is underfunded it will be drowned out by ignorant causes run by evil people with more money. That is a fact, whether you are a Democrat or Republican. By the way, is there a charitable cause that brings the two parties closer together? I will pledge my vacation fund for that cause.

Ayn Rand tried to teach us that there is nothing wrong with being selfish; in fact, it is unavoidable. Perhaps her philosophy went too far and ignored many important factors, but the essence is true: Being selfish is not inherently evil and can make the world a better place.

There is an episode of the TV show "Friends" where the hippy-ish character Phoebe tries to prove that unselfish acts exist. She found that everytime she tried to be unselfish, she benefitted in some way--despite her best efforts to avoid personal benefits. It is hard to develop a character over 30 minutes once a week, with commercial breaks, but I inferred that she embraced her selfish charity and used her selfishness to improve the lives of others.

If you are already charitable, then I thank you. Moreover, I encourage you to pimp your favorite charitable cause in the comments below! If you are not already charitable, I hope that you begin to consider ways that you can benefit yourself through charity. If nothing else, do it to lower your taxes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Several of our tenants have made thorough use of the "Andrew Carnegie" library within a block of our apartments. The Czech tenants especially made thorough use of the Internet and it was the librarian who called us when she realized a pair of homeless Mongolians had made the local library their home!

I discovered this giving principal in my early 30's. I was a single Mom with three children and no income other than what I earned. I began to "tithe" and I was overwhelmed by the results. I have pondered why it works and I think that it teaches us to hold material things (including the abstraction of money) loosely.

Now I contribute monthly to a scholarship fund. I have been doing this monthly for close to five years--and soon it should be well enough established to begin paying out scholarships.

I want to establish a second scholarship fund along the lines of the micro-loans that the Nobel Prize winner was rewarded for a couple of years ago. I am always crossing paths with young adults with great ideas and no money. I like the idea of micro-loans & entrepreneurship.

Good entry--

Judy said...

Larry, you do not disappoint. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts and now several of my friends are involved in your posts as well....(don't be surprised with an influx from Moms in Southern California)!

Anyway-you are so introspective and really allow me to look inward and reflect. My husband and I give annually to our alma mater. We went to the same undergrad institution, so we give there, as well as my husband's private Catholic high school. I don't see this necessarily as charity, though. I mean, these are both million dollar babies already, you know?

I will look at charity differently now. We definitely use our local library often for storytime, etc...as we have a 2 year old.

My mother has been volunteering at Hospice for as long as I can remember and I always thought they were (are) a wonderful organization. I believe that Rich (my husband) and I donate to other causes but I can't for the life of me think what they are. Guess I am not too charitable after all.

I am charitable, however, with my time. That's for sure. In fact, right now I have a friend's 3 year old daughter asleep in the guest bedroom while said friend is in the hospital about to go into labor. My husband is already deployed (again) and hers is leaving in 3 weeks. I guess that's different though, now that I write it. That's just being a good friend.

Oh well. Thanks for accepting the diatribe. Look forward to more posts from you.
~Judy