Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Newton's Laws of Motion

There are times when I have to write, like breathing. Have you ever taken a deep breath and tried to hold it in? You can't do it forever; eventually your body forces you to exhale. I often feel like that as I write. I have no choice; I have thoughts that need to be exhaled.

Even if I am not writing anything paticularly profound and know I will be throwing it away or deleting it, I write it down anyway. Even if I know I should be doing something else, I write when I feel I have to. Sometimes I neglect work or skip meals in order to write. Sometimes I get out of a warm, comfy bed late at night because I have to write something down before I burst.

Several months ago, I felt that way on a daily basis; today, not so much. The feeling comes and goes in unpredictable cycles. Right now, I am just trying to keep my blog updated. By posting something, I prove that this page is not abandoned. I have a lot going on, so it is probably a blessing that I do not feel the urge to write.

Therefore, while I am holding my breath a little longer, I will post someone else's thoughts. Isaac Newton, inventor of The Calculus and the first to define the Law of Gravity, also did the world a huge favor by defining the Laws of Motion. You have seen this, I am sure, many times in your life. I post this because I found it written on a 3x5 card in my stack of notes from years ago.

I love the simplicity of these laws. As I struggle with corporate politics and oppression, the complexities of love and life, and the short-circuited frsutrations of a career in electronics, it is nice to see that there is something in this world that can be proven; that there is something that sticks to the laws defining it without exception:

Newton's Laws of Motion:

1. An object at rest will remain at rest unless actred upon by a net force.

2. The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting upon it, and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

3. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

No comments: